These saffron buns are not only juicy, they are crazy fluffy, tasty and stay juicy for several days after baking if stored properly.
The secret is not kesella. These buns are actually completely free from. I prepare the dough in a saucepan over the hob. The dough thus gets a proper push and becomes incredibly porous. If you like the soft shopping saffron buns then they are in the same style. You can’t get enough! The husband just asked if there were no more. So all the saffron buns ended up during the time I was preparing this post. It must still be a good grade!
The recipe gives 20 saffron buns.
3 + 2 dl milk
1 dl + 9-10 dl wheat flour
1 g of saffron
25 g of fresh yeast
0.5 dl of powdered sugar
0.5 tsp salt
200 g of soft, room-warm butter
raisins for decoration
1 egg + 1 tbsp cold water for brushing
0.5 dl of powdered sugar + 0.25 dl of water to the sugarcane
- Put 3 dl milk and 1 dl wheat flour in a saucepan. Heat on medium heat with constant stirring until it gets the same texture as wallpaper paste.
- Remove the saucepan from the plate and keep in the rest of the milk and saffron. Stir in a smooth batter and crumble down the yeast. Stir until the yeast has dissolved.
- Pour the dough liquid into a bowl and add the powdered sugar, salt, butter and the rest of the wheat flour, a little at a time. Work together into a dough and knead well for about 5 minutes. The dough should still be sticky but release from the edges of the bowl when done.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal parts and shape them. Allow to ferment under cover for about 90 minutes. You know they are pre-fermented if the dough “bounces back” when you press slightly with your finger.
- Set the oven to 175 degrees (upper and lower heat).
- Press in some raisins in your buns.
- Lightly whisk the egg and mix water. Brush the egg liquid on the buns.
- Bake the buns in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes or until they have a nice golden brown color.
- Brush the buns with the syrup while still warm.
- It is best to keep them wrapped / in a bag at room temperature.