Making your own ketchup is so much tastier than the purchased sugary ketchup varieties available in stores.
Ingredients homemade tomato ketchup
- 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ red bell pepper cored and roughly chopped
- 1 dl of good tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar (12%)
- 0.5 dl water
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded celery
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1-1.5 tbsp salt
How to prepare
- Mix all ingredients in a stainless steel saucepan, simmer under a lid for 15 minutes.
- Mix smoothly in a mixer or with a mixing rod, taste with salt.
- Pour the ketchup through a strainer, then fill up with nice bottles of cork.
- This ketchup lasts for up to two weeks in the fridge and is a very good alternative to the sweet ketchup varieties we buy in the store.
- As with all recipes, you can try increasing or decreasing the amount of all ingredients until you find your own perfect ketchup recipe.