Tosca cake is a Swedish classic. It is a cake made with a light vanilla sponge cake topped with caramelized almonds. The concept is rather simple actually, but the result is delicious.
There are several theories about the origin of the name Tosca cake. One theory is that the recipe for the Tosca cake was originally based on almond cakes from Tuscany. Another theory, which tends to be the primary theory, is that Tosca is the name of an opera by Puccini which premiered 1900. It is believed that this opera likely gave the name to this cake.
In Swedish, it is called Toscakaka.
The concept of making a batter of almonds, cream, and butter has an oriental heritage. It was even present in Switzerland.
Ingredients Tosca Cake
- 2 1/2 dl fine mixture gluten-free flour (or regular flour if you want a standard cake)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 dl sour cream
- 100 g of sweet almond
- 100 g hazelnut kernels
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fine mixture gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- butter or margarine
- gluten-free bread
How to prepare
- Set oven to 175 ° C.
- Glaze: Scald and peel the almond. Roast the nuts in a hot, dry frying pan until it begins to crunch in the shells. Put the nuts in a towel and rub the shells. Chop half of the almond and nuts. Leave the rest whole.
- Melt the fat in a saucepan. Add sugar, flour mixture, syrup, milk, almonds, and nuts. Mix well. Do not allow the glaze to boil, as it may be sugary.
- Make the cake dough. Put the flour mixture, sugar, vanilla sugar and baking powder in a food processor. Cut the butter into cubes and add them. Work to a grainy mass. Add eggs and sour cream. Mix into a smooth batter.
- Grease a round shape and add breadcrumbs, preferably with a removable bottom, 24-26 cm in diameter (for 8 servings). Pour the batter into the shape.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-35 minutes. Take out the cake. Raise oven temperature to 250 ° C.
- Start timer
- Distribute the Tosca glaze evenly throughout the cake. Bake in the middle of the oven for 5-10 minutes until the surface is golden.
- Start timer
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before loosening from the mold. Place the Tosca cake in the fridge for a few hours before serving.